- History made: President Trump and Kim Jong Un have concluded their historic summit at the Capella Hotel on Singapore’s Sentosa Island.
- Soon: Trump is expected to speak with reporters at 4:00 p.m. Singapore time
President Trump says Kim Jong Un told him that North Korea is destroying a major missile engine testing site.
“North Korea is already destroying a major missile engine testing site,” Trump said.
The commitment was not included in the joint declaration the two men signed, but Trump said: “We agreed to that after the agreement was signed.”
Trump also outlined the agreement that he and Kim signed earlier. He said Kim reaffirmed “his unwavering commitment to complete denuclearization of the Korean peninsula.”
“We also agreed to vigorous negotiations to implement the agreement as soon as possible,” the President said.
Trump said Kim “wants to do that.”
President Trump is speaking to the press after his summit with Kim Jong Un in Singapore. He took the stage after a well-produced video about Kim’s unique chance at changing North Korea’s path forward.
Trump said it was “a tape” that was given to Kim’s representatives and it “captures a lot. It captures what can be done.”
Trump said that the day was spent with “very intensive hours” with Kim that resulted in a “comprehensive document.” He says that he delivered a message of “hope… and peace.”
Joint Statement of President Donald J. Trump of the United States of America and Chairman Kim Jong Un of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea at the Singapore Summit
- The United States and the DPRK commit to establish new US-DPRK relations in accordance with the desire of the peoples of the two countries for peace and prosperity.
- The United States and DPRK will join their efforts to build a lasting and stable peace regime on the Korean Peninsula.
- Reaffirming the April 27, 2018 Panmunjom Declaration, the DPRK commits to work toward complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula
- The United States and the DPRK commit to recovering POW/MIA remains, including the immediate repatriation of those already identified.
President of the United States of America
Chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea