South Africa flood toll rises to 443 as delege eases.

By Kafeero Twaha at 1030 EAT on 17th April 2022

What you need to know.

The loss of hundreds of lives and thousands of homes as well as the economic impact and the destruction of infrastructure calls for all hands on deck” said Ramaphosa.

The death toll from the flood that has battered South Africa’s east coast has risen to 443. including a rescuer a regional official said on Sunday as dozens more are still missing.

“The death toll now stands at 443 “sihle Zikalala the premier of the KwaZulu-Natal province told the media briefly adding 63 other people are still unaccounted for.

A member of the rescue and recovery team experienced difficulty breathing and was airlifted to…..hospital unfortunately he passed away.

RELATED

South Africa flood toll nears 400 as rescuers for missing. 341 dead in South Africa floods as the hunt for survivors widens.

Rains were starting to let up in the flood-ravaged east allowing for search and relief aid operations to continue after one of the deadliest storms in living memory.

Zikalala said the “inclement weather has slowed the assessment and rescue operation on the ground but we are once again back in the full swing “

Floodwaters engulfed parts of the Southeastern coastal city of Durban and surrounding areas early last week ripping apart roods destroying the hospitals and sweeping away homes and those trapped inside.

Rains clearing

The city 3.5million was overcast but the South Africa weather services puseletso Mofokeny said rainfall is clearing. The rainfall is going to clear away completely as we move to Wednesday “ he told HICGI News Agency “

But recovery operations and humanitarian relief continued in the economic and tourist magnet City whose beaches and warm Indian Ocean waters would normally have been teeming with Easter holidaymakers .

The member of flood-related emergency calls had decreased compared to early last week.

“Emergency Services are still currently on high alert on Sunday morning, “ Robert McKenzie of the provincial KwaZulu Natal emergency services told HICGI News Agency, It rained on Saturday and overnight however now it has stopped “ said McKenzie.

Even so, emergency services were busy attending to a scene in the district of pinetown where a house collapsed overnight.

Fortunately, now the floodwaters have receded and some roads cleared, it’s a lot easier to access the community. he said

Christians congregated at churches across the city and further afield to offer prayers for those affected by the floods as they celebrated Easter Sunday.

“It’s tragedy of overwhelming proportions said “Thobo Makgoba the Archbishop of cape town in his Easter message a day after in his visited Durbar.

The community is suffering severe emotional stress and pain” said, Makgoba’s successor to Desmond Tutu .

Government churches and charities were murshalling relief aid for the more than 40000 people left homeless by the raging floodwaters .

The government has announced an immediate one billion rand (&68million) in emergency relief funding.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s